Hello, fellow bloggers, today I have great news, or you can say a gift for all of your blogger blogs but first, let me ask some question from you. Do you want to make your blogger blog more professionally?
Do you want to make your blogger blog secured?
Do you want to make your blogger blog fast?
Do you want to make your blogger blog more SEO optimized?
And how to enable free SSL Certificates on Blogger blog custom domain?
If your answer is “right” for all four above question, then you’re at the right place. We all know that Blogger platform is giving the free SSL HTTPS certificates for Blogspot blogs, and it is a nice gift for your blog. But we also knew that these SSL certificates are only available for Blogspot subdomains, means if you are using any custom domain on your blogger blog then not able to add or enable the free SSL (HTTPS) certificate on your blog.
But Google will release this feature soon for the custom domain also, Why waiting for Google when yo can get the free SSL certificates on your custom domain. Yes, you read that right you can enable the HTTPS on your blogger blog even if you are using a custom domain name for your blog. This is the very tricky guide to get free SSL certificates but we’ve divided this guide into 3 parts which will help you to apply this trick. We all know the advantages if using HTTPS on your blog. Thanks to Shivansh Verma from BloggerGuider, he has shared this guide on his blog, so all credits goes to him.
Advantages of using SSL Certificates on Blog/Website
- Your Blog will look more professional
- SSL Certificates will protect your blog from hackers
- SSL Certificates make your blog secured and faster
- Using HTTPS your blog’s ranking in Google and other search engines will improve
The significant benefit of using HTTPS is the increase in SERP ranking, and Google will rank the 30% of the websites on the first page which are SSL certified, so you have a great chance to make your blog more SEO optimize and beat your competitors.
But below are some disadvantages of using this trick to enable the HTTPS certificates on Blogger blogs.
- During migrating your blog from HTTP to HTTPS your, some traffic will decrease for few days until Google crawls and indexes your all URLs with HTTPS
- Once you completely migrated to HTTPS then you’ll no be able to remove the HTTPS, and when you try to remove then you’ll lose your traffic, and maybe Google will deindex your blog.
How To Migrate Your Blogger Blog From HTTP to HTTPS Even You’re Using A Custom Domain:
So, here we’re going explain each and every step to make your blog most secure, fast and professional look. In this guide, we’ll use the Cloudflare’s free CDN (Content Delivery Network) to protect your blog from hackers, make it faster than ever and also improve SERP. We divided this post in 5 Section to make easy to understand and simple.
1. Add Cloudflare CDN On Blogger Blog:
This is the first part of this guide. You need to follow the below steps to add Content Delivery Network on your blogger blog follow below steps.
- Firstly, create a new account on CloudFlare, and then you’ll need to add your domain to it and click on “Scan DNS Records.”
- After adding your domain, it will 1 minute to scan your domain’s DNS records
- Once Canning progress is completed, CloudFlare gives you two custom name server, and you need to replace those with your default domain name servers. Follow below steps to add Cloudflare’s nameservers in your Domain name.
1. Open your Domain registrar dashboard or My Account page, then Go to Domain’s Setting
2. There you’ll see something like “change nameservers” or something like nameservers
3. Then you need to select “Custom Nameservers” and add the Cloudflare’s nameservers which are provided after added your domain name.
- Once you replace your nameservers with Cloudflare’s nameserver, means your domain is now using the Content Delivery Network.
2. Enable SSL Certificate (HTTPS) On Your Domain Name:
Now it’s time to enable the HTTPS on your Domain Name with the Cloudflare. It is the main part if this guide to enable HTTPS on Custom Domain in Blogger blog. Follow below steps to enable SSL certificates.
- Go To the “Crypto” tab on CloudFlare’s account
- Then select the “Flexible” option from the SSL section.
- Congratulation! You’ve successfully enabled the SSL (HTTPS) Certificates on your Blogger blog’s custom domain.
3. Redirect domain, sub-domains, and Permalinks from HTTP to HTTPS:
This is the most important part of this guide because you’ve to let your blog stop using the old HTTP and redirect your blog to new SSL (HTTPS). Follow all below steps carefully.
- Go to the “Page Rules” tab and then you have to add 3 Page Rules as shown in below images.
- But remember you need just to change “bloggerguider.com” with your “domain name”.
- After creating all 3 Page Rules correctly, Go to the “Firewall” tab
- In the Security Level section choose the “Low” option.
- Now we no need of Cloudflare anymore, so log out your Cloudflare account.
Now open your blog, and you will see that your blog’s homepage is automatically redirecting to HTTPS version. But now your blog’s permalinks is not in the HTTPS version, so we need to make all of them HTTPS and redirect the complete blog from HTTP to HTTPS.
- Now open your blog’s template HTML Editor
- And search for the “</head>” tag (without quotes) and paste the following code above the </head>
Now after this, find the below code in your template:
<b:include data='blog' name='all-head-content'/>
Remove it and add the following code below the “<head>” tag
- Now save your template.
Note: If your images are not on SSL certificates then upload your images to secure and free images hosting sites like Postimg.org, this site is 100% secured and SSL enabled, uploading your blog’s image to postimg.org, then your images will load 4x times faster.
Things to do After Migrating To HTTPS From HTTP
After successfully migrated your blogger blog from HTTP to HTTPS, no this is the final part of this guide, so you need to let Google know that you’ve migrated your blog to HTTPS, so Google needs to crawl and index your blog with HTTPS. This part will help you to make your blogger blog more SEO optimize and improve your ranking in Google, Bing, and other search engines. So let’s do this.
First, you need to update your Robots.txt file to make your blog SSL compatible.
- Go to Blogger Dashboard and go to your “Search Preference” settings
- In the Crawlers and indexing, replace your old robots.txt file with below one.
User-agent: Mediapartners-Google Disallow: User-agent: * Disallow: /search Allow: / Sitemap: https://www.yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml
- Now save your robots.txt file.
After updating Robots.txt file, then you need to resubmit your sitemap with HTTPS version to Google and Bing webmaster tools. For Google Webmaster tool follow below steps
- In Google Search Console, add new property in this way: https://www.yourdomain.com
- After adding the new property and verifying it, then submit your HTTPS version blog’s sitemap.XML like: https://www.yourdomain.com/sitemap.xml
- Finally, your blogger blog is ready to go live on the web, and it is fully SSL certified.
Once you have done with the Google webmaster tool, then you’ll easily add your HTTPS version of your blogger blog in the Bing webmaster tool by yourself.
I hope you’ve like this in-depth guide/tutorial, and I’m sure that this tutorial will help you take your blogger blog to the next level and it will also improve your ranking in all search engines. If you’ve got any problem or you’ve stuck on a step then feel free to comment, and if you appreciate this post the, please do share this post to let more people know about this trick, after all, sharing is caring.