If you spent lots of time surfing the internet then you might get an error code ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED this is the well-known and big problem that every internet user is facing. The ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error mostly occurs in the Google Chrome Browser, so if you’re using mostly Chrome browser (well it is fast enough than other 😛 ). If you get this error in your Chrome browser then this post will help you to solve this error because I’ve shared some proven methods to fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED in Google Chrome if you’re using Windows 10. But before you proceed to the solution of this error, you need to find that why this error comes on your computer or in Chrome browser and also make sure that your Google Chrome browser is updated to latest version, if you get issues and problems while updating your Google Chrome then read my another post about how to update Google Chrome itself, it will solve your Chrome updating issue 🙂
This error also comes in the Android smartphone if you’re using the Google Chrome Android app, that means there’s a problem with your router, Wifi connection or any medium that you connect your device to the internet so check the connection and fix it to solve the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED android error.
In Windows 10 Google Chrome browser this error shows some messages and some solution to fix this issue sometime these works and sometimes don’t, so keep reading this post to get all methods to fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error in Chrome.
Google Chrome’s connection attempt to www.howtoshout.com was rejected. The website may be down, or your network may not be properly configured.
Check your internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.
Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED comes in Chrome or Android?
- 2 Proven Methods To Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error in Chrome
- 2.1 Method #1: Clear All Google Chrome Cache & Cookies
- 2.2 Method #2: Flush DNS Cache Using Command Prompt
- 2.3 Method #3: Change the Proxy Settings
- 2.4 Method #4: Changing the DNS Address of your Network Device
- 2.5 Method #5: Try to Resetting Your WiFi Router
- 2.6 Method #6: Disabling Windows Defender or Antivirus
- 3 Conclusion
Why ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED comes in Chrome or Android?
Before you move to the solutions of this error, it is better to go to the root of this problem and get to know that why this ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED occurs on your PC, so there may be several and other possible causes of this error, some are listed given below.
- You’re trying to use VPN for accessing the website but the websites won’t open and Chome shows the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error
- You’re trying to accessing the websites using some proxies
- Maybe your internet connection isn’t working properly
- You’re trying to visit the website that is blacklisted sites by your Firewall
- or Maybe you’re trying to open that website which temporarily down or inaccessible.
Proven Methods To Fix ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error in Chrome
Well, without wasting your time let’s move to the solution that will fix the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED windows 10 and Google Chrome issue, I recommends you to follow one method and then check the error is gone or not, if it’s not solved then follow second then again check the problem is solved or not if again not? then follow the third method and so on….. So let’s Start 😉
Method #1: Clear All Google Chrome Cache & Cookies
This is the very simple fix to get rid of the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error code and you might be already know how to clear all caches and cookies, if not? Like you clear all the browsing history from your browser same as you need to clear all the caches and cookies from your Chrome browser. Follow below steps to apply this method to fix this problem.
- First Go to Settings (chrome://settings/) of your Google Chrome browser
- Then using Search bar find “history” and click on “Clear browsing data” option
- Now select the options Cached images and files and Cookies and other site data
- And then click on CLEAR BROWSING DATA button to clear all Google Chrome Cache and Cookies
- Check the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED Error is fixed or not?
Method #2: Flush DNS Cache Using Command Prompt
Removing the DNS cache from your operating system is also the solution of this error so make sure that you flushed all the DNS cache of your operating system. Follow below steps to clear and remove DNS cache.
- Press Win + R to open RUN and enter CMD then hit enter
- Now the Command prompt should open
- Now type the ipconfig /flushdns command in the command prompt and hit enter
- it will clear and flush the DNS Cache that present in your operating system then restart your computer to check whether the problem is solved.
Method #3: Change the Proxy Settings
These may be also the possible main reason of the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error in your windows 10 Google chrome. If you’ve ever entered a proxy for some purpose and you’ve forgotten to change./remove that proxy that you used before and the proxy has been expired then you’ll get this error while you connect your PC to the internet. Follow below steps to change the proxy server settings to fix this error.
- Open the Control Panel then select the Intenet Option
- Now go to the Connection Tab then click on the LAN settings.
- Now a LAN Settings box will appear and you just have to make sure that the box under Proxy Server section is unchecked!
Now open your browser try to access any website if the proxy was the cause of this error so it has been now solved.
Method #4: Changing the DNS Address of your Network Device
The incorrect DNS address is also the main cause of the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error so make sure that your DNS Address is corrected, follow the below steps to change the DNS Address of your network device.
- Open Control Panel, then select the Network and Sharing Center
- Now Right click and open the properties of the Network Adapter that you’re using to connect the internet with your PC
- Now click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) then click on the Properties
- Now a popup box will appear with the DNS Address option
- Enter the following DNS Addresses in their respective fields as shown in the image
Preferred DNS Server: 18.104.22.168
Alternate DNS Server: 22.214.171.124
- The Click OK! and your problem is solved.
Method #5: Try to Resetting Your WiFi Router
Sometimes or occasionally your WiFi router gets misconfigured itself or another user make some changes so due to this, the website you’re trying to visit couldn’t be open.
If you can reset your Wifi router then it may fix the Err_Conenction_refused error.
To reset your Wireless or Wifi Roter just press the power button for few seconds and restart it. Or follow the manual guide that comes with the router to get the instruction for resetting the router. As every device has different ways to reset it.
Give it a few minutes to turn it on again and also try to reset to configuration and reconfigure it again in your Windows Network Settings. Now make sure by visiting any website if that trick did work.
Method #6: Disabling Windows Defender or Antivirus
Yes, It sounds scary but we need to check if your antivirus is causing this problem. If we found that disabling the Windows Defender or firewall or your installed antivirus on your System will fix the error then we got to know that the Antivirus you’re using currently causing the connection refused error while accessing any website.
So it means that we need to update your antivirus version that fixes this issue, and it should be compatible with your configuration and the windows 10. Trust me it doesn’t harm your computer we’re not permanently disabling the antivirus, we’re just checking whether it’s causing this error or not. To disable to Antivirus or Firewall, follow the below steps
- Open your Control Panel, there you’ll see an option “System and Security“.
- Now In System and Security settings, click on the Windows Defender Firewall.
- There you’ll see a link on the left side which is “Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off” you got that, great click on it.
- Now you should see the option, just click the option next to Turn off Windows Defender Firewall in both Private network settings and public network settings.
- You’re all done!
Now check if the error is no longer occurring, If it got solved then great if didn’t then just reverse this process and enable your Windows Defender Firewall so it will not harm your computer.
I hope the methods mentioned above will help you to get rid of this error, so follow all methods and steps carefully and if possible reboot your computer after implementing any of the methods it will help you to fix this error after applying only a few methods so follow my guide carefully and make sure to reload your webpage after applying a method. If the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error get solved then you have to make me happy by sharing this post on your social networking profile either on Facebook, Twitter or Google+ just share this post and give your feedback, after all, sharing is caring <3